General Employee Information

New Employees

Teacher Licensure

Personnel Files

Change of Name or Address

Required Forms (CORI, W-4, M-4, I-9)

Direct Deposit

Payroll Calendar

Employee Benefits

Retiree Listserv




New Employees

New employees need come to the Human Resources Office, 89 Wellesley Street (Case House), Weston tofill out new employee paperwork.  At that time, employees will receive information regarding benefits available to them through the Town of Weston as well as a school directory and copy of their union contract if applicable.  The offer of new hire is contingent upon satisfactory fndings as determined by the Superintendent, for the Massachusetts CORI and national criminal background check


Teacher Licensure

All teachers are required to hold a license issued by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) in order to be eligible to teach in the Massachusetts Public Schools.  The Educator Licensing and Recruitment (ELAR) system allows current and prospective Massachusetts educators to complete most licensure related transactions on the Internet ( Within ELAR, individuals may apply for new licenses, renew Professional licenses, check licensure status, edit personal information, and more.


Types of Licenses:

 Preliminary - valid for 5 years of employment; for people who have not completed an Approved Educator Preparation Program.  Requires a Bachelor's Degree; passing score(s) on MTEL; additional coursework for some licenses.


Temporary - valid for 1 calendar year; for experienced teachers from another state.  Requires 3 years teaching under a valid out-of-state license; possession of a valid educator license/certificate from another state/jurisdiction that is comparable to at least an Initial license in Massachusetts.


Initial - valid for 5 years of employment (may be extended one time for five additional years of employment); requires a Bachelor's Degree; passing score(s) on MTEL; completion of an Educator Preparation Program.


Professional - valid for 5 calendar years; Requires 3 years of employment under an Initial license; completion of a Teacher Induction Program and 50 hours of mentoring beyond the induction program.


Personnel Files

A personnel folder for each present and former employee is maintained in the Human Resource Office.  The Superintendent/designee will be the official custodian for personnel files and will have overall responsibility for maintaining and preserving the confidentiality of the files within the provisions of the law.  Each employee has the right, upon written request, to review the contents of his/her own personnel file.  Records cannot be removed from the Human Resource office; however, employees who wish to obtain copies of documents contained in their personnel file must first submit a written request with the Director of Human Resource.


Change of Name or Address

Employees have an obligation to report any change of name, address, telephone number or emergency contact must be sent to the Human Resource Office.



Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) 

Weston Public Schools shall have access to and shall obtain all criminal offender record information annually or every three years from the criminal history systems board of any prospective employee or volunteer of the school department, who may have direct and unmonitored contact with children, including any individual who regularly provides school related transportation to children and all contractors hired by the district.  Weston Public Schools is also required by law to obtain and review the criminal offender record information of all current employees at least every three years.  Please note that the Weston Public Schools may make employment decisions based on CORI information.



The W-4 form is used so that an employer can withhold the correct Federal Income Tax from an employee's wages.  W-4 forms may be revised as necessary.



The M-4 form is used so that an employer can withhold Massachusetts Income Tax from an employee's wages.  If the employee claims the same number of exemptions for Massachusetts and Federal Income Taxes, only the W-4 needs to be completed.



The Immigration Reform and Control Act legally mandates that U.S. employers verify employment eligibility status of newly hired employees and make it unlawful for employers to knowingly hire or continue to employ unauthorized workers.


Direct Deposit

Direct deposit saves time, eliminates lost, stolen, or forged checks, and an employee's money is deposited even if an employee is away on payday.  Direct Deposit allows the Town to credit an employee's net pay to his/her account and to correct any over or under deposits to an employee’s account.  The initiation of Direct Deposit takes two payroll cycles after receipt of the authorization form.  An employee will receive a Direct Deposit Statement verifying the amount of the deposit on each payday.  To change banks or accounts, an employee will need to fill out a new authorization form.  Contact Payroll at 781-529-8085 for forms or further information.


Payroll Calendar

Administrators, teachers, administrative assistants, and aides are paid on a semi-monthly basis.  Custodians, cafeteria workers, bus drivers, and tutors are paid on a weekly basis.  Payroll checks are sent to the employees’ corresponding buildings when school is in session.  All checks whether direct deposit or live will be mailed when school buildings are closed for vacations, holidays, and/or inclement weather.


WPS Retiree Electronic Mailing List

To sign up for the "RetireeListserv", click here



Town Retirement Plans

Eligibility to Join MTRB

Deferred Compensation Plan -  OBRA

Deferred Compensationn Plan - 457

Tax Sheltered Annuity

Medicare Tax

Health Insurance

What to do at age 65

COBRA Coverage

Group Life Insurance

Disabillity Insurance & Universal Life Insurance

Unemployment Insurance Benefit

Flexible Spending Account (Cafeteria Plan)

Payroll Deductions

Retiree Listserv (Electronic Mail List)


Town Retirement Plans

Employees who work at least 50% of full-time on a regular, permanent basis shall contribute to one of the two State retirement plans: the Middlesex County Retirement or the MA Teachers’ Retirement System.  When an employee retires, or if an employee becomes disabled, he/she may receive a pension based on his/her earnings from this job.  This pension shall reduce or may eliminate an employee's entitlement to Social Security benefits when he/she retires.  Contributions shall be made as follows:


Retirement System              Date of Hire                                 % of Contribution


MA Teachers’ Retirement  7/1/01 to present & Retr. Plus     11% of regular pay


MA Teachers’ Retirement  7/1/96 to 6/30/01                         9% of regular pay + 2% of salary in   excess of $30,000


MA Middlesex Retirement  7/1/96 to present                        9% of regular pay +2% of salary in excess of $30,000


MA Teachers’ Retr. &

Middlesex Retr.                    1/1/84 to 6/30/96                      8% of regular pay + 2% of salary in excess of $30,000                                                       

MA Teachers’ Retr. &

Middlesex Retr.                    1/1/75 to 12/31/83                   7% of regular salary + 2% of salary in excess of$30,000                                                                                                   (after 1/2/79)


MA Teachers’ Retr. &

Middlesex Retr.                     before 1/1/75                       5% of regular pay


An employee is eligible to retire if s/he meets any of the following requirements:

     * An employee may retire at any age if he/she has 20 years of creditable service.

    * If employment began before January 1, 1978, he/she may retire at age 55 with any number of years of service.

    * If employment began on or after January 1, 1978, he/she must have 10 years of creditable service and be at least  

      age 55.


If an employee leaves the employment of the Town before meeting the criteria listed above, s/he may withdraw his/her contributions with interest if his/her employment exceeds 5 years of service.  Accumulated interest is not returned if employment with the Town is less than 5 years.  More information can be obtained by contacting the Personnel Assistant for the School Department, at 781-529-8086 or the Middlesex Country Retirement System at 800-258-3805 or 978-439-3000, or by viewing MA Teachers’ Retirement System website


Eligibility to Join Massachusetts Teachers’ Retirement System (MTRB)

All DOE certified individuals working full-time. If a teacher works part-time or at least 50% of full-time and has never been a member of the MA Teachers’ Retirement before, the teacher will need to enroll in the Middlesex Country Retirement for the first six months and then transfer to MA Teachers’ Retirement following six months of work.


OBRA - Deferred Compensation Plan

Employees not eligible to participate in the Middlesex County Retirement System shall contribute on a pre-tax basis 7.5% of their pay to the Massachusetts’ deferred compensation plan administered by the Great-West Retirement Services of Great-West Life and Annuity Insurance Company.  This contribution is in lieu of the social security tax of the Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA).  This is to implement the rules set forth by the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1990 (OBRA), pursuant to Internal Revenue Code, Section 3121(b) (7), and in accordance with MA General Laws, Chapter 494.  An employee's contribution will be invested in The Income Fund.


Deferred Compensation Plan (457)

Employees contributing to the Middlesex County Retirement System or the MA Teachers’ Retirement System may also choose to defer income on a pretax basis through the deferred compensation plan (457) to provide additional retirement income.  No Federal or State income taxes are paid on the deferred income and its earnings until withdrawn upon retirement, death, disability, termination, or approved financial hardship.  Call Great-West Smart Plan Service Center at 877-457-1900 or go to for information.


Tax-Sheltered Annuity 403(b)

School employees may elect to participate in a 403(b) in order to help save for retirement. The plan allows you to save on a tax deferred basis.  Federal and State income taxes are not paid until the balance of the money is withdrawn (upon retirement or death).  Effective January 1, 2009, MidAmerica Administrative and Retirement Solutions will serve as our plan's Third Party Administrator (TPA).  Please contact MidAmerica regarding any questions regarding a 403(b) Plan.  Contributions can only be made to vendors approved by Weston and MidAmerica.  All plan related transactions (other than investment decisions) must now be validated through MidAmerica.  These include all distributions, hardships, loans, and procession of salary reduction agreements before they may be set up with payroll and contributions sent to the selected vendor.  Employees can call MidAmerica toll free number at 866-873-4240 or visit to their website at


Medicare Tax

Employees hired on or after April 1, 1986 are subject to the hospital insurance (Medicare) portion of the social security tax.  This tax is taken at the rate of 1.45% of an employee’s pay.  Employees who are required to pay the Medicare tax will be eligible for Medicare upon reaching age 65.


Health Insurance

Employees working at least 20 hours per week are eligible to participate in the Town’s group health insurance program. An employee must enroll within 10 days from the first day of work.  Coverage for new employees begins on the first day of the month following 60 calendar days from the first date of employment or eligibility, or two calendar months, whichever comes first.  If an employee does not enroll within the initial 10 days, he/she will not be eligible to enroll until the following Open Enrollment Period in April, to be effective July 1.  An employee must furnish a copy of his/her marriage certificate and children’s birth certificates, if applicable, to accompany the health insurance enrollment.  The Town's health insurance is offered through Commonwealth of Massachusetts Group Insurance Commission (GIC):


            *Information about the different plans available to school employees will be available through the Human Resource Office at Case House.


            *The Town has made available Delta Dental Insurance for employees, but does not contribute towards it.  Questions call Delta Dental Support at 1-800-872-0500.


Upon election by the employee, health insurance premiums may be exempt from Federal and State taxes.


What to do when an employee reaches 65 years of age:

Employees who reach age 65 and continue to work must contact the Town Hall’s Human Resource Department at (781) 893-7320, ext. 307 to change to Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act (TEFRA) coverage.  Employees also need to contact the Social Security Administration to determine if they are eligible for Medicare Parts A and B.  If eligible, employees must determine whether or not to defer Part B until retirement.  A surcharge of 10% per year is assessed for each year Part B is deferred after retirement.  Medicare Parts A and B become the primary insurance only upon retirement.  Retired employees who become eligible for Medicare Parts A and B upon reaching age 65 may participate in one of the Town’s supplemental plans.  More information may be obtained by contacting the Human Resource Department at Town Hall.


COBRA Coverage

The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) entitles employees, as well as spouses and dependents, the opportunity to continue health coverage through the Town, with the employee bearing a portion of the cost 102% of the cost, for a period of 18 to 36 months, depending on the disability.  Health coverage may continue under COBRA as a result of the following: termination of employment, change in hours which results in ineligibility for health insurance, divorce or legal separation, dependent child becomes ineligible.  Newly hired employees will receive an initial notice of their rights to continue health insurance coverage under COBRA.  Employees should retain this notice.  For more information, contact the Town Human Resource Department at 781-893-7320.


Group Life Insurance

Employees may enroll in a term group life insurance plan for basic life and accidental death and dismemberment coverage in the amount of $2,000.  The total premium is currently $1.40 per month, of which the Town contributes approximately half.  In addition, optional group insurance is available; the entire cost of which is paid by the employee.  The rates for this insurance are as follows per $1,000 of coverage per month.


Under 45 years of age   $0.35


45 to 55 years of age   $0.75  


Over 55 years of age    $1.45


Retirement to age 75    $3.75


Employees may purchase optional group insurance in an amount not to exceed $2,000 less than their annual compensation rounded up to the nearest thousandth. Upon election by the employee, life insurance premiums may be exempt from federal and state taxes.  Call Boston Mutual Life Insurance Company in Canton at 800-669-2668 for more information.


Disability Insurance and Universal Life Insurance

Through Mutual of Omaha, the Town offers long-term disability insurance and universal life insurance at group rates, but with the premium cost totally paid by the employee.  Upon election by the employee, disability insurance premiums may be exempt from Federal and State taxes.  Call Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company at 800-229-2295 or 508-460-2091, ext. 225.


Unemployment Insurance Benefit

An employee may be eligible for unemployment insurance benefits if he/she is laid off from his/her position.  Call the Human Resource Office of the School Department at 781-529-8086 or the Massachusetts Unemployment Office toll free at 888-626-5553 for more information.


Flexible Spending Account (Cafeteria Plan)

Employees may set aside pre-tax dollars for out-of-pocket medical/dental-related and dependent care expenses.  The employee estimates the amount of expenses for the plan period (year) and has a fixed amount deducted from his/her pay each pay period.  The limit on medical/dental expenses in a one-year period is $5,000; the limit on dependent care expenses is $5,000.  Caution should be used when estimating the amount to be set aside because federal law requires that any funds deducted but not spent by the end of the plan year will be forfeited.  Employees will also receive a debit card which they can use to pay for prescriptions, doctors, visits, etc.  The Town covers the $60 annual fee for all employees who participate in the cafeteria plan.  Further information can be obtained by contacting Crosby Benefits Systems at 617-928-0700 or visit their website at


Payroll Deductions

Employees may have regular payroll deductions for the following purposes:


    * Union dues

    * Framingham Municipal Credit Union


 More information can be obtained by contacting the Union President or Treasurer of each respective union, or the Human Resources Office at the School Department, 781-786-5260.


Copyright © 2017 Weston Public Schools. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by Getfused