Substitute Teaching in Weston
Substitute teachers are important members of the Weston Public School staff. Substitute teaching is an excellent way to learn about our schools while allowing principals and teachers to get to know you. To qualify as a substitute teacher, you need a college degree but do not need formal teacher training. However, you do need to enjoy and respect children and the educational process. Most substitute teaching assignments are at the elementary and middle levels and cover every subject area including special education. As a substitute teacher you may select the days of the week you wish to work, and the subjects/grade levels you desire.
If you are interested in being a Substitute Teacher for the 2015-16 school year, please email Shana Connerney in the Human Resources Office at email@example.com, to set up an appointment to come in and complete
new employee enrollment forms.
REQUIREMENTS FOR NEW SUBSTITUTES
1. Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree + copies of transcripts or teaching certificate.
2. Student teacher's training or classroom teaching experience.
3. Satisfactory CORI (Criminal Records check) prior to start of substitute teaching.
4. Satisfactory SAFIS (Finger printing) prior to and/or appointment scheduled before start of substitute teaching.
1. Step 1: (Day 1-20) $95.75 per full teaching day.
2. Step 2: (Day 21-90 within one school year) $109.37 per full teaching day.
3. Step 3: (After serving 90 days within one school year, from Day 91 on) $123.11 per full teaching day.
4. Part-time substitutes are paid a half-day rate if the assignment is for 4.0 hours or less.
5. Full-day substitutes are expected to serve the whole school-day (including the 25 minute lunch period), not leave the school grounds during the work day and assume all responsibilities and duties given by the principal of the school, not to exclude occasional clerical and lunch aide duties and study hall and activity supervision. These guidelines apply to half-day substitutes, who are expected to work up to 4 hours.
6. Long-Term Substitute Teacher's Rate: After 20 consecutive days in the same teacher's assignment: $219.33 per per full teaching day or percentage thereof for part-time substitutes, retroactive to the first day of the assignment.
7. You will be paid on Thursday of each week, two weeks after you worked. The paycheck will be mailed to your home address of record.
8. The Superintendent reserves the right to adjust the substitute compensation as required by the school district's needs.
The OBRA deduction is to satisfy the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1990 which requires that all employee of state and local government participate in a meaningful retirement plan.7.5% will be deducted from each paycheck to be placed in the Mass State Tax-Deferred Compensation Plan, managed by the Great-West Retirement Services. The principal of your accumulated deductions may be retrieved when you discontinue your availability as an occasional employee.
You are required to arrive at the designated school at least 15 minutes prior to the first class. The schools' starting and ending times are listed below. If you are not able to arrive on time due to an emergency, you must call the principal via the direct number:
High School: 781-786-5800
Middle School: 781-786-5600
Field School: 781-786-5500
Country School: 781-786-5400
Woodland School: 781-786-5300
High School: 7:30 am - 2:50 pm
Middle School: 7:40 am - 2:45 pm M, T, Th, F; 7:40 am - 1:39 pm W
Elementary Schools: 8:15 am - 2:20 pm
Kindergarten: 8:15 am - 2:20 pm Wednesdays are 8:15 am - 12:15 pm
Pre-School: 8:30 am - 2:30 pm M, F, Th, F; 8:30 am - 12:30 pm W
Report to the school secretary's office upon arrival. The school secretary will hand you the lessons plans for your classes. She will also show you the student attendance, lunch procedures, and other school requirements.